Anniversary Meanings - What Does This Year Mean?
Find your perfect anniversary gift
Just like there are lots of anniversary lists, there are also lots of anniversary meanings.
The most basic meaning is that as the years of your relationship pass
and you grow as a couple, so do the gifts that are associated with each
Meanings By Year
Photo by Camdiluv
- Traditionally paper is associated with your 1st anniversary it is not considered to be as worthy as tin, which is the material associated with your 10th anniversary.
However a lot of great things are made with paper, items that have changed the world and so it can also be thought of as one of the most valuable gifts that you can give. Your 1st anniversary is just as valuable, as it is the first of many.
- Your 2nd is traditionally made with straw or
cotton, some believe the meaning of cotton to be associated with wiping
away tears that may have come during your two years of marriage. It is
time to move on and grow together.
- Your 3rd is traditionally leather and as the
phrase goes you are both happy in your own skin. You know each other as
well as you know yourself.
- Your 4th is traditionally linen. Flax was
traditionally used to make linen and is much stronger than cotton
fibers. Having linen as your gift shows that you are growing stronger
- Your 5th is celebrated with wood. Trees have long
been the symbol of life and health. This gift shows that you are growing
together with deep roots.
- Your 6th is iron, your 7th is copper, your 8th is bronze. These are all metals that have great strength, just like your marriage.
- Your 9th is pottery, which is a reminder that you need to look after your relationship, otherwise it can break.
- Your 10th is tin, your 11th is steel and again this shows the strength that you have.
- Your 15th is traditionally celebrated with crystal, this shows the purity of your love and how natural it is.
- Your 20th is celebrated with china, and just like
your 9th with pottery, it is a gentle reminder to look after
this love that you have.
- Your 25th is silver and your 50th is gold.
These anniversaries have been celebrated for hundreds of years and they
are valuable metals, just like your relationship. Which shows you just
how far you have come!
How To Add Meaning To Your Anniversary Gifts
The fun part about choosing your gifts according to the lists is that some years it can be tricky, what do you buy the city loving couple when it is their straw anniversary? You could go out and buy great seats to the latest show or treat them to a table at the latest restaurant - all are lovely but if you could find the perfect gift from this years meaning that would be the icing on the cake. As well as the restaurant and the show!
The anniversary meanings come from the traditional and modern lists and you also have the flower list. The meanings on the flower list follow the meanings of the flowers, and they are beautiful.
Mix the lists up to find the perfect gift for your loved one each year, or set yourself the challenge of sticking with one list for every year. We are trying to stick with the traditional list - mainly because I never realised there were so many lists to choose from when we started our wedding anniversary celebrations and I am not too good when there are lots of choices.
To help you out we have put ideas for every anniversary, just go to your anniversary year to take you to this years gift ideas.
So, going back to the city loving couple, if you had a peek at the lists you will know that they are celebrating their 2nd anniversary. Fill a basket (straw) with lots of yummy goodies, if it is for your partner take them away for a romantic weekend in the countryside or arrange a romantic picnic with your hamper full of goodies in your own living room!
A bowl of strawberries would be yummy too - sorry couldn't resist the pun.
Find your perfect anniversary gift